With temperatures expected in the high 80s and high humidity levels, organizers of the St. Jude Rock ‘n’ Roll Nashville Marathon & ½ Marathon have adjusted the start times of Saturday’s races. Each race distance will start 30 minutes earlier with the 5K at 6:15am, followed by the marathon and half-marathon at 6:45am.
Seriously, how awesome does this look? Recognize anyone?
How about we stay healthy and hydrated so we can enjoy the entire race, right?
Here are some tips on how to stay cool and enjoy your race day experience from Race Medical Director, Dr. PZ Pierce.
Race Medical Director, Dr. PZ Pearce, gives tips below on how to stay cool and enjoy your race day experience
1. Set Realistic Expectations
- Don’t aim to set a PR or hit aggressive time goals.
- Take note of course time limits (6hr marathon, 4hr half marathon)
- Slow your pace, walk or rest when you need to.
- Marathoners should consider switching from the marathon to the half marathon distance. This can be done any time up to and including on course
2. Before Race Day
- Drink water and electrolytes to keep your fluids up.
- Plan your clothing: Choose lightweight, sweat-wicking clothing in cool colors (avoid black). Don’t forget a light hat and sunglasses.
3. On Race Day
- Wear sunscreen.
- Before your race, add a salt packet to a cup of fluid and drink it. Salt packets will be available at the start line refreshment stand, from race officials within your starting corrals and on course at all medical stations.
- Don’t over-drink. Drink when you are thirsty and no more. Favor Gatorade Endurance and electrolyte drinks over water.
- Make use of on-course cooling elements. All water stations will be equipped with misters and additional cooling buses will be on course as necessary.
- Don’t over-exert yourself. If you’re feeling uncomfortably hot, slow down.
- Stop at a medical station if anything doesn't seem right.
Take advantage of the weather text alert system as necessary. Text “nashweather” to 85-007 for race day weather updates. Standard messaging and data rates apply.