If your kids are away at school OR you're a student who lives on campus, there's nothing more important than your safety. Unfortunately, college campus crime rates are already on the rise and school just got back in session. You may already have taken some precautions to ensure your safety ie: never walk alone at night etc. Hopefully, this information will help keep you even more secure.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
The Today Show's Jeff Rossen recently shared these tips with viewers. Please be sure to make your friends aware of ways they can stay safe too.
- When you share your location, you're letting the world know where you are. Turn off location tracking.
NEVER GO ALONE
- Campus Security is available to escort students at night. Never walk alone.
BLUE PHONES AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
- Locate the blue phones on campus. Blue light phones are placed around college campuses for on-demand assistance with jumping a dead battery, personally experiences that involve safety as well as reporting a crime that you witnessed.
- If you ask, many schools will provide personal alarms for free. Personal alarms allow you to call for help with out having to dial a number. Your emergency contacts will be messaged all at once. You can also purchase a personal alarm online. They run anywhere from $10-$50.
RESEARCH CAMPUS CRIME RATE
- Know before you go. Every school is required to provide criminal statistics. You can find the report from your school by visiting the US Department of Education's Campus Safety and Security guide.